Friday, February 25, 2011

just call me Grace

It has been snowing all day, much to Dylan's delight. Unfortunately he has been fevered all day today and yesterday so he hasn't been feeling good enough to go out and play. But, after dinner tonight he decided it was time, so I bundled up Dylan and Easton and out they went. I was still feeding Gavin in his highchair and he was loving watching the boys as they were on the deck playing and shoveling the snow. As Gavin ate, I stepped out once to take a picture of them...to be shared at a later time, but you'll see the significance of this shortly.

After Gavin was done, I set him down by the sliding glass door to watch the boys, and locked the door so they wouldn't knock him over each time they tried to talk to me. He was clapping and laughing and having a great time, so I was cleaning up dinner. Then, fear strikes me...I was at the kitchen sink and realized I hadn't shut the gate to the stairs. I turn to see if Gavin is still at the door and he isn't. The boys start banging on the door to talk to me, but I take off running for the stairs and see Gavin reaching his arms over the edge - YIKES! I turn the corner by the table, hit the wet spot from me stepping outside, and out go the legs. I hit the ground SO HARD on my right hip. I wanted to lay there and die but knew I had to get to Gavin before my big scene is forgotten by him and he returns to his previous task (the stairs). I'm doing Gavin's army crawl to the stairs since I can't imagine trying to stand, trying to reach him before he goes down head first. I caught his leg just in time and just laid there as Gavin tried his best to wiggle out of my grasp. My boys were standing at the door watching the whole thing, which all happened in less than a minutes time. Sadly, I only have myself to blame as I sit here with my sore hip and neck from the whip-lash. I think I'd feel better if I could blame someone else!

4 comments:

melimba said...

oh my goodness! I was at the edge of my seat the entire time reading that! Hello CHAMPION MOTHER?! crippled on the floor and STILL had the where-with-all to grab your infant son hanging off the edge of the cliff that is your stairs? AMAZING.

I can see a TV movie now. :)

Seriously, though, that is crazy! And, too crazy that Dylan and Easton saw the whole thing "go down" (pun intended).

Thank heavens you caught him before he fell! And, I'm dying that you got whiplash! SO SORRY! If I were there, I'd take the boys and let you put your feet up! SORRY about that too! :) So, why don't you come back to San Antonio and we'll make it happen.
Speaking of, I gotta call or email you, I'm wondering what the scoop is on your life!
Lots and lots of love. And, soak that aching body in the tub! :)
love.melis.

emandtrev said...

I love to envision the army crawl. Being a mom is such a labor of love sometimes, isn't it?! Seriously, Mel, OW! I hope you're okay! Hugs.

jessica said...

Ouch and kinda funny in a sad twisted way. Hope you are ok. I just picture Dylan and Easton with mouths hanging open locked on the other side of the door watching this all happen

Tim and Melissa said...

So maybe I'm a little bit dramatic...but I had to share my crazy experience somewhere. I'm laughing about it now too and I'm just fine. Just a bruise on my hip and it really isn't as big as I felt it should be. Thanks for your sweet words!!