Sunday, February 3, 2008

Time Out

On Friday I was working my fingers to the bone at my computer as Dylan was playing with his toys around me. After a little while he brought me three of his train pieces hooked together and says "Time Out". I had looked around real quick to see if he'd done something wrong, since he'll often tell me when he needs a time out. As nothing seemed wrong I say "what about a time out"? The short version of the story is that he kept putting his train pieces in timeout in his bedroom and when I asked him why, he told me that "Thomas Train hit Mom". Hmm...nope, but sounds like something we discuss daily. We're working on the 'no hitting'. Maybe we do too many time outs, but we're still figuring this whole parenting thing out. Sorry, Dylan, that you are our guinea pig. For now, I guess timeouts will be a part of our discipline as well as play time. How fun!

Dylan is also good at reminding us to do things when we forget. He makes it very clear the things I'm always repeating. The funny thing is that I've been bugging Tim for the 4 1/2 years we've been married to always put the toilet seat down when he's done. Yea...still working on that one. But now, I'm not the only one that says it. If Dylan sees the toilet seat up, he's quick to say "Dad, seat down!" At least I have one of my boys trained (for now). Also, a few days ago Tim came home while I was cooking dinner and Dylan opened the door for him and gave him his big hug. When Tim came in, we started talking and soon Dylan is reminding me that I need to give Dad a hug...what a wonderful reminder!! He is definitely a creature of habit...and growing up way too fast! We love our little Dilly!

10 comments:

elements: overexposed said...

Who says kids don't know what's going on around them and they aren't smart?!? So cute! I can't believe how quickly they grow!

Hope all is well!

K

The Bagley Family said...

What a sweetie! I love the hug scenario! It's usually the other way around at our house. I give Brady a hug when he walks in and we have to remind Carson to do the same. He just isn't in that loving stage anymore.... sad! It sounds like Dylan is quite the loving little guy! What a cutie!

melimba said...

what a cute little story! i love that he gives little reminders! :) too cute!
man, I feel like i haven't seen you in forever! let's change that..asap!

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

That was hilarious about Dylan telling Tim to put the toilet seat down! :) Ethan is just now starting to say things that we say...I better watch myself!

Kajsa said...

thats too funny! its amazing how smart kids are! he is so cute!

Haueter Photography said...

He is so smart and aware of things. That story is too cute! How are you feeling by the way?

emandtrev said...

Very cute, indeed! I can't wait to see you guys again--whenever that may be! :)

Ashlie said...

How cute. I love that he is learning so well:)

Kristen said...

That is so cute. Dylan is a sharp little guy. One time we came home and Lily had her Dora doll in the corner for a time out. It is so hilarious when they try to act "adult". You know what Kelly Ripa says about kids...they are like pancakes- you ruin the first one and the rest come out fine.

paulak said...

Kya puts her bunny and puppy in time out sometimes. She actually sat in the corner the other night and put herself in time out, without having done anything wrong. They are so smart...makes you want to be careful what you say and how you act, huh?