Saturday, April 4, 2009

Port Aransas, TX - Part 2


We had such a good time with the Smith's staying a few days in Port Aransas, TX. Each morning the kids wanted to look for seashells on the beach. Above is them running down the boardwalk to the beach.

The first day we attempted the freezing cold pool, but for the most part found things much better in the hot tub.
One of the best parts of this trip for me was staying up late and playing games. We love games, but since the kids have come into our lives, we don't get together with other couples like we used to and play games. Kristen and Aaron are fun to play with and had great games - Settlers of Catan (one of our loves), and Ticket to Ride Europe (our new favorite game). It is definitely at the top of our list of games to buy.
While on the coast we took advantage of the seafood. The first night we went to Snoopy's and I had super yummy fish and chips and Tim tried a yummy sampler with fried oysters, shrimp and fish. Below is us just outside of Snoopy's.
The next night we went to Moby Dick's. I had a fish sandwich which I thought was great. Tim was much more daring and ordered the boil. I'm so glad he did just so I could see it. I've heard about crawfish or crawdad boils since I've been here in Texas but never got to see what it was all about. I understood Tim's to be shrimp, crawdads, crab legs, corn and potatoes boiled in Cajun seasonings. Below is a picture of a crawdad for those of you that have never seen them. I have to admit that I didn't want to eat it - it still looked too much like the whole creature to me. Supposedly after you get the meat out, you squeeze them and suck the juice out. Now doesn't that just sound so yummy? I wasn't daring enough to try it this time. I sampled his shrimp though - a bit overcooked, but good flavor. Definitely an interesting experience!
Dylan showing off his Kung Fu moves:
It was great to get away, but it was also time to come home and get back to our routine. We've had fun having dad around this week!

7 comments:

Brad Leishman said...

Was that a Texas Longhorns hat you were wearing Tim? I guess the conversion is complete. Don't be ashamed, I am a total fan a the Arizona Wildcats now!

Darin and Joanna said...

Your trip looks like so much fun! How fun to live so close to the beach!

jgeefamily said...

That looks like so much fun. You have the perfect beach pictures like you see in the movies....love it!

Bethany said...

That looks like an awesome vacation " ) so fun!
Hey I love your blog, very very cute!

Shaun and Emily said...

So fun. I love the ocean. Your kids are darling as always. Seafood on the coast is always so much better!

emandtrev said...

What a fun trip! I love all the great pictures. That one of the kids running down the boardwalk is priceless! I agree with you on the crawfish. I never quite decided that I liked them all that much, but loved all the other great seafood you could get with close access to the Gulf!

Scott and Athena said...

It looks so warm there. What fun pictures. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun.