Saturday, April 12, 2008

Potty Training

According to the potty training book I read, I can now claim Dylan is potty trained. YAY! I realize we've only been at this for two days, but he has done AMAZING! I had myself all worked up to this being a horrible experience, but luckily, I was pleasantly surprised! We started the scary adventure yesterday morning and had two very minor accidents throughout the day(details on one below). Today...no accidents to report. He's been very excited to be a "Big Kid" and wear big boy underpants. I've decided to work slowly into the nights, so for now he'll be wearing pull-ups to bed, but I'm ok with that and he is too.

WARNING - if you don't want potty training details, stop here. Last night as we were watering the plants outside, he got a funny look on his face after he hosed down his legs and said something about needing to go pee. I told him to drop the hose and we'd run inside to his potty, but he hesitated. I asked him if he'd had an accident and he said he had, so we still ran inside to practice. Once inside, I was impressed to find out that even though he had started to have an accident, he'd stopped himself. He finished peeing in the potty - no puddles. I figured that was a good sign.

Also, this morning after breakfast he was watching TV so I told him I was going to take a shower. Just as I stepped out of the bathroom, he came to tell me that he had just gone potty. Oh the joy...no reminder from me, and he took care of everything all by himself. Way to put a smile on my face, Dyl!

I'm so proud of our little guy. He has been so cooperative and willing. LUCKY ME! He is getting so grown up! Tim's been gone this weekend to "Dental Olympics" and we've really missed him. Dylan is especially excited to show him he is a big kid in big boy underpants, and as he learned from the "Potty Power" DVD from the library, he now says "no more diapers for me!" Happy Day!

PS - I realize we will probably still deal with accidents, but there is no turning back for us now.

13 comments:

erin said...

How awesome that Dylan is doing so well with potty training! Nice work buddy! Such good timing with baby #2 on the way.

Kristen said...

That's really great. Good job Dylan!

Kajsa said...

i knew he would be so easy! yea! congrats!!

Shanda said...

Yeahhhhhh for D!!!! I am so happy for him and of course you and Tim. I bet it is a big relief to have him potty trained before your next little guy comes! He is such a cutie pie!

Shaela said...

I'm so happy it went so well. Great job Melissa!

emandtrev said...

Yay! That is wonderful! Now you can just focus on buying teeny diapers again! :)

paulak said...

Yeah for Dylan. Its funny how they surprise us. Same thing with Kya, we still have a few accidents, but ultimately this potty training stuff was much easier than I anticipated. Way to go Dylan.

Jas & Cam Fam said...

Congradulations! I am soo impressed! What a little smartie. I absolutely dread potty training. He sounds like he is doing amazing!
Your Spring break pictures look like soo much fun. Are you enjoying being in Texas? Where do you guys think you will end up? Enjoy it while your there...looks like you are!

Shaun and Emily said...

Congrats! I'm so happy for little Dylan. Glad it sounds like it's going smoothly. We just crossed this hurdle ourselves after 2 years and a setback after moving. We're finally there! Great news Dylan!

Tangi said...

you guys are getting so close to having another. I am so excited for you and wow, potty training. its probably best to get it over with before you have another. two is fun and exhausting but so fun...

Krista said...

YAY for you & dylan!! nice not to have 2 in diapers!! congrats! :)

elements: overexposed said...

I should get Chris to watch that Potty Power dvd, he still has accidents every now and then. Ha!

Good job Dylan!

Mike and Kelly said...

What a big boy. You'll be suprised that how big he seems after you have the baby. After looking a such a tiny person all day in the hospital, the older sibling looks enormous. It is really say to think that they are no longer babies, but it is also a big relief too.