Tuesday, February 17, 2009

one finger, two finger, red finger, blue finger

WARNING

WARNING

WARNING: Anyone that gets queasy at the sight of blood might want to skip this post.

Everyone that's heard about my "Darwin moment", as Tim would call it, requested pictures, so here it is...and here's the story for everyone else.

Yesterday started off as a wonderful day. Because of the holiday, Tim had the day off of school so we all decided to go to the gym together. We get to the gym and I get Easton out of the car. As I'm closing the door (one handed, mind you) I somehow slam my index finger in the car door. Yea, not sure how I did that, but that's beside the point. Natural reaction is to yank my hand out of the way...bad choice! I look down at my finger and realize we had a problem. I had torn about half of my fingernail off the wrong direction. It was still connected at my fingertip, but it had been pulled out of the nail bed and was exposing all sorts of yuck! Plus, it had torn the skin on the side of my finger.

Surprisingly it didn't hurt very bad. As blood started dripping everywhere I just felt like I was going to pass out. I was just soooo glad that Tim was there to help me.

Being a holiday, I couldn't find a doctor's office open as I called around. We ended up heading off to the ER. Thanks so much to Kajsa for taking care of the boys for us on zero notice!

Long story short, I broke the very tip of my finger. The doctor was able to put my fingernail back in place and stitched it in place. He put two holes in the nail to relieve the pressure. He also put two stitches in the side of my finger where the skin had split.

So there's my embarrassing moment. I'm supposed to wear the split on my finger for 4 weeks - Yikes! The doctor figures I'll loose my fingernail, but by putting my fingernail back, he figures it will leave the nail bed open to regrow my fingernail. We'll see! Tim is being so sweet to take care of all the things I can't. Thank you!!

Here are the X-rays:

This first one shows the side of my finger. You can see the break and you cal also see my fingernail sticking up.

This picture doesn't show it very well, but it's the only one we have. At the time I didn't think anyone would want to see pictures of this...I guess I was wrong since everyone asks for them when they hear the story.

14 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh melissa! I wanted to see pictures but I don't. I am a freak like that. I had to look, but I feel a little queasy now. So sad. I feel so bad for you. After having a little slice on my thumb and index finger and feeling limited in doing stuff with that, I can't imagine the pain that your finger is going to cause you. I am getting the shivs just thinking about your bloody finger. Hope it gets better soon!

Cliff and Courtney's Family said...

Melissa! That totally sounds like something I would do. I am so sorry that really looks like it hurts. I swear moms bear a lot of war wounds that rarely go noticed. Hope it starts feeling better. I lost my thumbnail once and it grew back just fine.

jgeefamily said...

Holy cow....OUCH!! Thats all I can think of too say!!!

melimba said...

gag a magot!!
oh, melissa! that is so sick! i'm so sorry!!
i, too, had to look!
I hope it heals BEAUTIFULLY and then you can fufill your dream to be a hand model. :)
xoxo
melis

aaron said...

yuck. makes me feel queasy. i'm glad it didn't hurt too much when it happened but it looked like it hurt a lot!

emandtrev said...

Oh, OUCH!! I am so sorry. That looks and sounds REALLY painful. I hope you make a very speedy recovery!

Nyman's said...

holy moly batman...that is painful looking...

Erin Davis said...

Not fun! I did that to my middle finger, (not that bad though) and it is soooo painful! Hope it heals soon!

Bethany said...

Ohmy goodness! Melissa I am so sorry. I guess I have learned now if you smash your finger, LEAVE it THERE. I will keep it in mind. I hope it gets better quickly, how annoying that would be "_

paulak said...

Owwwwwie! That's gonna leave a mark. How is your finger now? That was a little hard to read about...It wasn't hard to see though. Silly!

Scott and Athena said...

Ouch! That has got to hurt. I'm so sorry. And that bites that you'll lose your fingernail. At least it will grow back.

stampinashley said...

Wow, that's really gross. Really. Atleast you ended up with a story for your wound. When I took my hugely sliced open thumb to urgent care (cut on a can of peaches-bad) They offered me simpahty stitches, but also said I could get off the hook with Steri-strips.

Since I was on the verge of passing out anyway, I opted for the steristrips -what a wimp! No scars to even show for my battle!

Leah said...

Alright, I never caught the story at Enrichment last week, so thanks for posting it here. Ouch, owie, owie! (Kara likes looking at the bloody pic; I think she's a bit of a freak. But now I can show her what happens if she gets her finger caught in the door!)

Shaun and Emily said...

Ouch!! My mom actually shut hers in her Tahoe door and broke it in the same spot. She said it hurt really bad. Under the finger nail plate are tons of nerves! Hope it gets feeling better soon!