Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Moving Day

It's been about a month since our big move, and I'm finally getting to the point of blogging about it. I'm sooo behind on blogging!

Day 1

This day started off bad. It took FOREVER to load the truck the night before. Lindsay was so super nice to watch Dylan and Easton while we loaded the truck (I owe her big time)! Not only that, but we stole her hubby, Morgan, to help load the truck. Anyway, I think it was about 11p.m. before we made it there to pick up the boys and then it was off to the hotel. We figured that they would be so exhausted that they would just crash for the night. Their bedtime is typically around 7:30. No luck. They were wired and Easton was pinging off the walls. Tim ended up driving him around for a bit for him to fall asleep and then carried him into the hotel and tucked him into bed. That's when I headed back to the house to finish up the cleaning and then joined them in the wee hours of the morning. Shortly after I got back to the hotel, Easton fell out of bed and woke up and was inconsolable. So...off to the car again for Tim to get Easton back to sleep. We didn't know what else to do. After our few short hours of sleep, the boys were up early.

We were supposed to meet with the title company at 10:00 to close on the house. Just before that, Tim was running a quick errand and backed into a car. Not just any car, someones fancy restored old mustang. Their baby. It barely left a mark, but of course he wants it perfect. The insurance is handling it now. As for the closing, the title company called around 9:00 to move the closing time to after lunch. What a pain! We were ready to hit the road, but instead hung out at McDonald's to let the boys play while we mapped out our trip across country. We finally made it to closing and luckily things went quickly there.
Finally we were on our way...for a minute. Tim decided to drive first and ordered me to take a nap so that I could take a shift in a while. I don't sleep well in cars, but I took the order anyway. Within that first hour on the road, barely outside of San Antonio, I was JERKED awake and scared to death as Tim drove off the road. He'd fallen asleep at the wheel. It must not have been our day to die as we just ended up with some grass in the grill. There were no other cars around, and it was a nice flat grassy area on the side of the road rather than the rocky cliff stuff. Wow! I ordered him out of the driver seat now realizing why I don't sleep well in the car, and we were on our way again.

Shortly after becoming the driver, I see flashing lights in the rear view mirror. Really?!? I pull over, knowing I wasn't speeding and having no clue what it could be. I actually wondered if he was going to tell us we were dragging our bumper behind us from running off the road. No such luck. Apparently when I had exited, I hadn't made a complete stop before turning right. Ha! So the polite police officer wrote me a ticket. Add $146 to the moving expenses. Great!

A short time later we are cruising along a Texas country road and a HUGE vulture flies up in front of us. Slamming on the brakes, we barely missed it. We were beginning to wonder if we were really supposed to make this trip.
We weren't too surprised a short time later when Easton threw up. What luck. So we pull over to clean him up. As I'm cleaning him, Tim changes Gavin and he decides to have a blow out. Nice. We just laughed and knew that we were finding the next hotel we could and calling it a night. I now look back and figure all of this stuff happened to keep adrenaline going in us to keep us awake. We really had had no sleep the night before. Day 1 we maybe got 4-5 hours of drive time done. We were in the hotel by 7:30, let the boys swim and all fell asleep by 9. Luckily we got a wonderful night sleep. Hallelujah!

The next two days were completely uneventful, luckily! The boys were troopers. Yes, we had our moments, but all in all the drive went well. We arrived in Utah alive and well.

Here is a shot of the swim on that first night.

We enjoyed seeing all of the huge windfarms along the way. They were pretty neat! Easton also LOVED seeing trains. Luckily we saw tons of them

We stopped for a break in Colorado and had fun exploring this little place. It had a fun train cars that the boys got to go into too.

We had about 3 hours to go until we hit Logan, Utah, and the boys were so done - especially Dylan. Nothing in our bag of tricks was working anymore. I think Easton's messy face was from a sucker, but can't remember for sure anymore.


Dylan was telling me he was ready to be done (with three hours to go). This was the cutie I saw in the backseat. I felt bad, but they survived the three hours and loved getting to grandma and grandpa's house for some room to run around. We stayed there for a week before our stuff arrived in Pocatello and we settled in.

6 comments:

paulak said...

wow...quite the trip. So glad you made it safe. Can't wait to get together sometime.

Kristen said...

Your post was so riveting! I can't believe all those events happened. Pretty much worst case scenario. At least you made it through. I would have just found the next hotel too. You poor guys. I know the feeling of a spouse wrecking a car too. Aaron just did it the other day.

Hope you are enjoying your new house!

erin said...

Wow- I'm glad you guys survived that first day of driving ok! I can't believe all of that happened!

The pictures of the boys in the car are so cute.

Wendi said...

That is such a wild start. Glad you made it.

Lindsay said...

I'm glad to finally get the full story. What a first day! Even fore eventful than I thought. I promise I haven't been avoiding you. We just moved in here Friday night and are still unpacking. I would definitely suggest moving a month AFTER having a baby as opposed to a month BEFORE. No fun!
Talk to you soon!

melimba said...

I read the story aloud to Aaron the other day... we are DYING about your trip! I had no idea it was so eventful!! hOLY cOw!!
Thank heavens you got there safely!

I'm loving all your updates! How on earth are you finding the time to catch up?! It's so overwhelming, isn't it? :)

Consider me SUPER impressed! Love all the fun updates and I can't believe what a little DOLLY that Gavin is!?! He looks just like Easton and Dylan too! It's crazy! Darling darling.

lots and lots of love to you guys!
WE MISS YOU!!!! San Antonio was MUCH better with you around. Just sayin'... :) You are loved. Hope you guys have a FABULOUS WEEKEND!!!
love melis