Thursday, November 18, 2010

Honesty Pays Off

Just over a month ago, I had to stop in to Walgreens to buy some diapers. As I was carrying Gavin in his carseat and trying to get Easton to stop looking at the Redbox movies list and just go into the store, Dylan says, "mom, look what I found". He held up a wad of cash. There was one old man just climbing into his car that had just been by us, so we asked him if he had lost any money. He hadn't, so Dylan and I talked about how we needed to ask the clerk inside if anyone had lost any money. He agreed.

After talking with the clerk who didn't know of anyone missing any money, the manager talked to us. He told us that he would hold onto the money for 30 days. If no one had claimed the money within that time, then the money was Dylan's.

Dylan was very good to remind me often about the money. We counted down the days until we could check back with the store. The day finally came and I called them while Dylan was at preschool on Monday. No one had claimed the money, so the manager asked me to bring Dylan back in so he could give him the money. We went straight there after preschool and Dylan was soooo happy. The manager gave him his money ($17.05) and had Dylan sign his name for it. Dylan's big plans for the money? He wants to save it.

I was so glad that things worked out for him in the end. We had talked about how someone might claim it and then he wouldn't get the money. He was sad at first but when we talked about how he would feel if he lost his money and couldn't get it back, he seemed to understand. But now, he feels really great about being honest!

1 comment:

Tanya Smith said...

That is so awesome. You should submit that to the Friend Magazine or something.