Monday, January 21, 2013

Grandma Stocking's Funeral

September 15
 
Grandma Stocking passed away on September 11, 2013. It was not unexpected as she hadn't been really "here" since about May. She had been living in a nursing home for quite some time and when I had visited her there, she wasn't the Grandma I knew. She was so peaceful, and seemed to acknowledge that we stopped by one time, but never really communicated with us. It was really hard to see her like that.
 
As hard as it was to see her pass on, it was time. Now she can be free from her frail body. We were able to make it home for her funeral and I'm glad we were able to be there.
 
I did get a few pictures of the day. Here is Grandpa saying a few words at the cemetery.
 

 

We are quite the crew! This is all of the grandkids and great-grandkids that were able to be there, plus grandpa. I believe all of the grandkids were able to be there - we are missing a few of the great-grandkids.


Grandpa and his give kids - Deon, Dad, Kate, Larry and Amy
 
Here is the obituary included in the paper. Since my scanner didn't have a big enough screen I had to chop it into two, but I wanted to include it.

I have many fond memories of Grandma and Grandpa Stocking, but my most vivid will always surround the 4th of July. Every year we would watch the fireworks at their house. We would gather with all of the cousins, pick peas from the garden and sit out on the lawn to wait for the Logan fireworks. They had the perfect unobstructed view of the stadium.

I remember lighting off our own fireworks and the fun with the sparklers. We would light our sparkler and try our best to run all the way around the house before it ran out. It was kind of tricky since there was a cobble stone path on one side of the house with lots of viney plants growing around them. We had many a wipe-out there. I'm not sure I ever made it all the way around the house with it still lit, but I sure made a great effort!

After the fireworks, we would get to camp out in tents in their backyard. Since we weren't a "camping" family, this was always so much fun for me.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Melissa, this is Jenny. I found a link to your blog through Betsty. Thank you for posting Grandma's obituary! I had not seen it and love how much detail it has! Hope things are well with you, Tim and your 4 (wow!) boys.