Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pediatric Dentistry Rotation

So Melissa has been after me forever to make a post on the blog, and since my life is not extremely interesting for those who have not chosen to look into mouths for the rest of their lives, I have abstained from torturing most of you. (Sorry mom, dad, and a few chosen others who have got to live through all of the agony almost play by play). However these past few weeks I have had a pediatric dentistry rotation and Lacy Mankin-Galloway has a happy finger on a camera. . . . so I figured I could give people a small glimpse into the life of a dental student.
Here is a picture of us looking at radiographs. Have to love the black and white.

Here is a picture of Tony, Me, and Dave Martin at a downtown clinic called the Ricardo Salinas Clinic. As you can see we were all trying to get on the cover of Vogue magazine. I hope to hear from them soon.
I just popped into the picture as a joke. I just love dentistry.
Man is it early in the morning or what. Can anybody say dental trauma?
Here was my first pediatric dentistry patient ever. He was about 4 years old, and was such a good little patient. Nothing like being thrown into the fire. I was told I had two procedures to perform and I had 1/2 an hour to do it. Ticking time bomb was the last adage I heard, but he did well and we were able to complete the procedures.
Here was my first N2O experience (laughing gas). This was supervised and not a rogue effort to escape the pressures of dental school. No I didn't laugh and I am not just counting the days until my next experience, however, it does work wonders for some in the dental chair.
Here I am administering the nitrous oxide to Hailey who actually did laugh a fair amount and seem to thoroughly enjoy her experience. I am a master.
More nitrous pictures as we all experienced what we administer to patients.
Apparently, according to Lacy this is a photo for recruitment to our school. (The smiles are actually deceptive if that is the purpose for our school). Actually I think that my witty humor has my audience captivated.
Our intent conversation of pediatric dental emergencies.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

I think that is Awesome Tim! I personally couldn't do that, mouths yeck! But that is just me, you are going to make one heck of a Dentist you know! ")

Kristen said...

I hope you got a permission slip to post that pic of your patient. :) j/k Pretty cool. I'll have to ask if Aaron got the laughing gas treatment too.

Nyman's said...

seriouly hard work, and a lot of schooling (is that how you spell that) anyway, good luck!

Brad Leishman said...

Hanging out with chicks and trying out laughing gas? I never knew that is what dental school was all about. =)